Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tackle it Tuesday- Entryway

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

We moved into our house more than four years ago and I've been planning on "doing something" with the house since then. Life, as usual, got in the way and we've been just making due. Now I've been itching to make some changes and decided to start at the beginning- the entryway.


Exhibit A: Our Bland Makeshift Entry


The layout of our house is a strange one. The entrance that everyone uses is through our kitchen which is technically not our main entrance. That entrance is through our dining room. There's a formal door and a grander entrance but the problem is that you have to pass the kitchen door before you get to the "main entrance". I thought of hanging a large sign on the kitchen door, saying "Do Not Enter" but that wouldn't work. Traffic still flows through the kitchen. Finally, I decided to stop fighting it and give in the natural flow of the house.

The mission I've accepted is to turn this bland area into an entryway that says, "Welcome" with style. The major complication is the fact that once you're inside, you're right in our narrow kitchen. This awkward space has to somehow be divided into two separate areas- entry and kitchen.

Come with me as I walk you through my plan thus far:

Once you're at the front door you will be greeted by this cast iron door mat, it's attractive

and functional. Winter's are fairly snowy (hopefully we've left that behind) and spring is muddy. An added bonus is that it's heavy enough to avoid blowing away on windy days. We've lost a couple of mats this way.

Don't worry if you weren't able to get everything off your shoes or boots because our nice rug is waiting for you. It's durable and waterproof made of polypropylene and can be wiped clean with a sponge or hosed off. A necessary piece of furniture since we have this ceramic tile that is like an ice skating rink when wet.

I'm not liking the bland white walls and considering going with a bolder color
like this red. The kitchen has two skylights and there's a lot of light during the day which can compete nicely with the bold color. I'd also use the same color to accent the door.
Seen together I think the red could work. It will force me to go bolder when we get around to the kitchen. Now let's move on.

This is a nice piece for the area right near the door. With baskets it can hold library books, mail, cellphones, keys, iPod's, etc. Perhaps it might be too tempting for my toddler not to climb.

Another much needed accoutrement is the boot tray . Let me reiterate- snow and mud for a good portion of the year.


For years I've been saying I want a no-shoes-in-the-house rule but I've been wishy-washy about doing it but now is my chance. Once you're in the house this
shoe rack awaits and a nice basket
filled with an assortment of comfortable slippers and warm socks (of course they will be hand-knit by me).


For coats and bags and for hats.


Oh and this
will be for the the dog's leash.


I have this wonderful bench from India which would be perfect under the window. It has great storage inside for scarves, gloves, hats, and snow pants. With a nice cushion it will be a wonderful place to sit and read a book.

Next to bench near the phone will be the message command center- calendar, chalkboard, and clock




I also thought a little table like this
could come in handy.

Light would be a nice addition, since it can be a bit dim in this area at night. What do you think of two of these?


My final bit of decorating would be photos and artwork. Whew! I'm exhausted after all of this. Let me know what you think. Share your entry way success or disaster stories. I'll keep you abreast of the progress.




No comments: