Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Knitter's Dilemma

I picked up this book about two years ago and fell in love with the gorgeous patterns and unique style of knitting. The first pattern I tackled was a bath mat using three strands of cotton yarn on large needles. I'm a knitter who likes the challenge of learning new techniques and the whole idea of creating these large pieces by picking up stitches was addictive.

So when I saw this pattern I had to tackle it. I'd always wanted to make a full size blanket (not one of those whimpy throws) and here was my chance. I ordered the wool/silk blend skeins and a set of needles. I started the first square while on vacation in August 2007. I figured I would have most of the blanket finished on the drive home from Maine. By the way, did I happen to mention I'm a delusional knitter?

Well, it's 2009 and the blanket is almost, almost finished. I'm working on the fourth border. After this all I have to do is weave in loose threads, stitch up the borders, and steam it lightly and then I'll have my very own Modern Log Cabin Blanket, except... except for a slight little problem.

This teeny tiny ball is never going to make it through the fourth border. I keep hoping this yarn is like those dolls in the 70's that had short hair, then you pulled on their ponytail and magically it had long luxurious hair. The delusional knitter in me is refusing to concede defeat and go online and order another skein so I will be saved the embarrassment of writing another entry next year about how I plan on finishing this blanket. I'd rather not have my children visit with their children and their children's children retelling the legend of the unfinished blanket. "Hey remember the blanket Mommy started knitting way back before we had hover cars?"

But I believe this is The Little Ball of Yarn That Could
Doesn't it look like it has heart and soul? Doesn't it look like the kind of courageous ball of yarn that is ready to stretch itself so that I don't have to pay extra shipping on just one skein of Silky Wool yarn?

No comments: